Automotive & Travel

How to Apply and Application Assistance

Provided below is information and links regarding benefits and services potenitally available to you. We strongly recommend, if you are considering requesting services or submitting an application to the VA, that you contact your County Veterans Service Office. Their Service Officers specialize in assisting veterans and their family members with claims, applications, and appeals to the VA.

Please visit our County Veterans Service Offices web page to obtain your County Veterans Service Office\'s contact information.


Veterans License Plates

Disabled Veterans License Plate
Veterans meeting the requirements may apply through the Division of Motor Vehicles for one free Disabled Veteran Plate. To apply you will need to submit:

  • Completed application disabled veteran license plate application
  • DD214 demonstrating honorable discharge
  • An eligibility letter stating: 1) the veteran has a 50% or greater disability and 2) the disability is service connected and 3) the disability is permanent. The Colorado Division of Veterans Affairs can assist veterans with this letter. Please contact us at 303-914-5832 or at
  • The registration of the vehicle if currently registered or a title receipt or title completion notice from the County.
  • Proof of Emissions (if required)
  • Proof of Insurance

Submit the packet to:

In person
Colorado Department of Revenue Division of Motor Vehicles
Registration Section
1881 Pierce Street
Lakewood, CO 80214

By Mail
Colorado Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Registration
Denver, CO 80261-0016

Branch and Award Specific Plates
The State of Colorado offers veterans a distinct license plate to display their service in the Armed Forces through a Military Veteran Recognition License Plate Program. The veteran must provide proof of military service and/or proof of award of a military related medal. To obtain a VETERAN license plate take your DD-214 to your local DMV Office. License plates include:

  • U.S. Air Force
  • Fallen Air Force
  • U.S. Army
  • Fallen Army
  • U.S. Army Special Forces
  • U.S. Coast Guard
  • Fallen Coast Guard
  • U.S. Marines
  • Fallen Marines
  • U.S. Navy
  • Fallen Navy
  • Honorably Discharged Veteran
  • Veteran of Afghanistan War
  • Korean War Veteran
  • Veteran of Iraq War
  • Veteran of World War II
  • National Guard
  • Vietnam Veteran
  • 4th Infantry

Medals available include:

  • Medal of Honor
  • Silver Star
  • Navy Cross
  • Air Force Cross
  • Bronze Star with Valor
  • Bronze Star
  • Pearl Harbor Survivor
  • Prisoner of War
  • Purple Heart
  • Distinguished Service Cross


Travel & Transportation


If you have a qualifying Military ID, the RTD system to include the light rail is no charge to you. Contact RTD for more information.

YMCA Military Getaway Package

The YMCA of the Rockies offers a Military Getaway Package to active duty and those in the reserves.

$174 plus tax for 2 nights in any lodge room, up to 4 people per room, meals included (dinner on day of arrival through lunch on day of departure).

  • Must be active duty or in reserves
  • Must be able to provide proof of active duty at time of check-in
  • Book by phone today by calling 888.613.9622

*Package based on availability. For Individual reservation only (no groups). Additional nights will be full price for lodging and meals. Additional persons: $40/child (6-12 years) or $60/adult (13+ years). 1 room per reservation/name.

Wholesale Military Travel Discounts